Symbiosis Law School, Pune
Dr. Shashikala Gurpur
Director ,SLS, Pune, Dean Faculty of Law, SIU
Education : B. Sc.,LLB, L.L.M., NET, Ph. D. , PG Dipl in German , RBP( Hindi),
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Dr. Shashikala Gurpur Fulbright Scholar, B.Sc., LL.B., LL.M., NET, Ph.D.
- Professor of Law & Director, Symbiosis Law School Pune
- Dean, Faculty of Law, Symbiosis International University (since 2007)
- Former Member, Law Commission of India
- Member of Academic Council ,National Judicial Academy, Bhopal
- Member of Curriculum Development Committee and Equivalence Committee , Bar Council of India
- Ex Officio Member Academic Council Board of Studies, IQAC, SIU
- Member of Planning & development Board SIU.
- Member, Board of Management, Symbiosis International University
- Former Board Member, IGNOU School of Law & Governing Council, NALSAR, Hyderabad, India
- Life Member, Indian Law Institute, Delhi
- Editor-in-Chief: SCLJ, SSLR with LexisNexis Butterworths
- International Editorial Board of Law and Policy Journal of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, Chair, IALS International Journal on Legal Education, USA
- Member of scientific editorial board for Journal : Polish Law Review
- Member, Academic Council, BPS Mahila University, Sonipat, Haryana, MNLU,Mumbai and MNLU , Nagpur
- Member, Board of Studies , Faculty of Law,Goa University ,South Gujarat University and Mangalore University.
- Member of Journal Editorial Committee , National Law School, Assam
- Member, Research Committee, Maharashtra National Law School, Mumbai and National Law University, Assam.
- Member, Research and Recognition Committee of Law, BPS Mahila Vidyalay Haryana and IGNOU
- Life Member, Kannada Sangha Pune
Areas of Specialisation and Interest:
International Law, Human Rights, Jurisprudence, Legal Education and Legal Research, Innovation Law, Comparative Law, Global Justice.
B.Sc., LL.B., LL.M., NET, Ph.D.
PG Diploma in German, Rashtra Bhasha Praveen (Hindi), Reiki Master
Teaching experience of 23.11 years including Post Graduate Teaching and Research and guiding Master’s and Ph.D. students
Co-Director of NGO on Gender Advocacy for 1 year and as consultant on Asian Network on Women in Communication; 3 years as Head of HR/Administration in an MNC in UAE
- 2016 – Listed in book ‘100 Legal Luminaries of India’, LexisNexis
- 2014 Delivered a public lecture on ‘Constitutional law, human rights and the challenges of globalization in India at UCC, Ireland on 22nd October, 2014 and Nani Palkhiwala Memorial Public lecture in cities of South India.
- 2014 Conferred with “Adarsh Mitra Mandal – Vision Crime Free Society “award for Integrating Community Legal Service into Legal education to serve the Ideal of Justice “
- 2014 Conferred with Global Ethics Award for Equality by Global Ethics Forum Geneva
- 2013 Vijaya Award for Legal Excellence, by Vijaya Foundation, Akluj, Maharashtra
- Legal Education Innovation Award of SILF-MILAT in 2011
- Fulbright Fellowship 2010-2011
- Visitor at Foreign Service Institute, Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India, 2008
- Master M. Phil ,PhD Referee NLU Jodhpur, Mumbai University , Nagpur University and IGNOU, NUJS, Kolkata since 2008
- Competent Toast Master Award in 2005
- Won the Karnataka State Youth Award for outstanding achievement in 1992
- Won two Gold Medals and a cash for topping LLM in Mysore University in 1990
- Visiting Fellowship of AHRB to Edinburgh Law School in 2004
- PNPS-Ford Foundation Grant for Third Sector Research 2001
- Co-authored two books :-
(a) Impact of Genetic Engineering and Agricultural Biodiversity Conservation’ Lambert Germany, 2013
(b) Women Friendly Pune Safety Information Booklet for Women, published by Janwani Maratha Chamber of Commerce, Industries & Agriculture (MCCIA), 2014 and Pune Police.
- Published 51 papers in Journals of National and International repute
- Published 9 book Chapters of which two are international publications
- Presented in 60 National/International Seminars including 12 International Seminars
- Engaged in legal literacy and development education for women, paralegal training (1990-95, 1999-2000), as well as media literacy for women (2000-2002) through numerous workshops and lectures.
- Resource Person to various Faculty Development Programmes of UGC, MILAT – IBA Chair (2001 till date) , District Training Institute(1992-95) and Core Committee Member, Maharashtra Judicial Academy on training women panchayat members (1994-95)
- 2013-14 Invited to deliver Nani Palkhiwala Memorial Lectures on Indian Heritage by the Foundation and Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan across India
- 2013 Distinguished speaker at Justice Krishna Iyer’s 99th Birthday at Kochi
- Core Team Member, Erasmus Mundus Global Legal Consortium, 2007-11
- Taught in National University of Ireland in Cork,1996-1998
- Advised Asian Network of Women in Communication, 1999-2004
- Worked as Head of HR and Administration in Abu Dhabi UAE,2004-2007 and trained multinational workforce.
- Member, International Editorial Board of three Journals
- Visited China, Bangkok, Germany, Australia, Canada, UK, Spain, Singapore to represent ANWIC, Erasmus Mundus, Asian Law Deans Round Table and IALS international conferences ,2003, 2007- 2011,2012,2015 visited New York, Washington , Pennysylvania and Higher Education Centres in USA (2015) as Fulbright Fellow
- Post Doctoral Fellow, AHRB Center for IPR, Edinburgh University, 2014
- Key Note speaker at public lecture on ‘Law in India and Emerging Global Challenges’ at University College Cork, Ireland 2015
- Participated in the IALS Global Deans forum and IALS annual meeting at Spain in 2015
- Member, Core Committee, Safety of Women at Work place, CII, Pune
- Adviser to Gurpur Panchayat Development Team, Karnataka, 2012
- Adviser to Kaveri Group of educational institutes, Pune,2011
- Adviser to VVET Group of Educational institutes, Mysore,2011
- Resource Person Advisory role and Ph.D Referee in Bijapur Women’s University, Karnataka (since 2004)
- Adviser to various NGOs on development, Gender, Human Rights since 1992 and Co- Director, Samvedi Gender and Law Network – DEEDS, Mangalore in 1999-2000
- Radio-journalist from 1981-2004 presented programs in and English Tulu, Kannada , B-grade drama artiste since 1987, selected to AIR Advisory Committee in 2003
- Listed among notable authors in Kannada in 1992 and in 2007; I have published poems, short stories and articles in Kannada (most distinct is the cover page article in Sudha Weekly 28 nov.1998, on Ireland, ‘a green isle in the west’). (a) Top Mooter in Mangalore and Karnataka 1988 (b) Topper in Karnataka Student Poetry Contest 1988
- Topped Karnataka State in Science Teaching competition in 1985
- Topper in Extempore and Second Topper in Karnataka State Debating Competition in 1985