Symbiosis Centre for Advanced Legal Studies and Research (SCALSAR), was informally organized since 2007 and formalized in February 2013 bythe Board of Management, SIU. Itdraws its genesis from the Proposal of 'National Knowledge Commission'2007 to set up four regional centers of Advanced Legal Studies and Research (CALSAR) with the following objectives:
- Create knowledge and publish it
- Act as think-tank to government
- Host scholars of residence and undertake interdisciplinary legal studies & research projects
- Train teachers and design training modules
Thus making its presence felt both nationally and internally for its academic activities and pursuit of excellence to enfold all these attributes of CALSAR along with, full – time doctoral program, full time research,CGPA-based semester system in LLM, it re-modelled its current 2 year LLM program into 1 year program ( See Programme Structure & Admission Process 2016-17) framework recently issued by UGC, without dispensing any of its existing rigour, excellence and quality benchmarks through SCALSAR.
Objectives set in CALSAR already achieved at SLS, Pune:
- Creating knowledge and publishing it: Students and Faculty publications in National & International Journals, participation & research paper presentations in National & International Conferences, organizing Annual Research Conference to promote research, In-house publications – two flagship journals published by Lexis Nexis.
- Acting as think tank to Government:membership and consultation to law Commision, Conducted National Consultation on Civil & Criminal Justice Deliverance System, provided inputs to National Commission for Women, provided inputs on 9 pending bills to be discussed in the Lok Sabha, provided recommendations for Justice Verma Commission on Rape laws, Corporate consultation.
- Hosting Scholars in Residence: Average of Two – three scholars in residence every semester from countries such as USA, UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc.
- Undertaking interdisciplinary legal studies and research projects: Courses offered in Liberal Arts, Management, Life skills, philosophy & ethics, IT etc. along with law courses. Research Report on Corporate Takeover has been the highest downloaded on Social Science Research Network.
- Training for teachers & designing training modules:Cardiff Law- British Council Teachers training Cascade programme, All India Law Teachers Conference, a host of Faculty Development programmes, designing training modules for prison administration, police, training judicial officers at Maharashtra Judicial Academy, Training provided to paralegal trainers appointed by the District Legal Services Authority, provided legal training to the members of Dispute Resolution Committee in Pirangut & Somatane, provided legal advice to Self help groups in Bhimthadi Jatra etc.
Showing its commitment to research, the institute has also come up with two research journals in collaboration with Lexis Nexis. The names of Journals are Symbiosis Contemporary Law Journal and Symbiosis Student Law Review.